Things to remember when considering vendor storage
- If retention has been met, do not send to storage. Visit this page to learn about the records destruction/RM3 process.
- To use vendor storage, your boxes must be tracked through the URMA system.
- The contents of a given box should all fall under the same records series, with common destruction dates.
- If it is necessary to mix destruction dates to fill a box, the destruction date of the box will be set to the latest of these dates.
- Vendors charge at a "per box" rate.
Steps to prepare boxes for vendor storage
- Remove binders or other containers. Use folders, colored paper, or other dividers between binder groups to establish separation.
- Remove binder clips, butterfly clips, hanging files, and plastic sleeves. (Smaller paper clips and staples can remain.)
- Consult with Records Management Office staff about inclusion of electronic media, cassette tapes, video tapes, etc.
- Use a standard records storage box (10" x 15" x 12").
- Place the URMA label on one of the box's end panels (the narrow ends of the box).
- Do not tape the box closed.
- Ideally, keep an inventory of each box's contents - this will help if you need to pull a record/box in the future.
Doing this work on the front end saves money! If the vendor has to sort through your boxes to discard non-paper items during the destruction process, you will be charged an additional fee.
Contact the Records Management Office with any questions.