Employees should carefully consider where to store University records.
Document management systems, like OnBase and ImageNow, or properly configured network shared drives are ideal for storage of University records with highly sensitive data (HSD). SharePoint sites and Teams channels associated with a department or on-going projects are best for records that do not contain HSD.
Cloud storage like UVA Box and OneDrive are never acceptable for HSD and should not be used for long term storage. These accounts are associated with an employee and are deleted when employees leave the University.
- Guidelines for Digital Records Storage
- Organize and Find Information
- Recordings Best Practices
- Scanning Best Practices
- Shared Drive Clean-Up
M365 Retention Labels
Employees can manage retention of records in OneDrive, Teams, and SharePoint by using the retention labels deployed by RIM.
- Selecting Retention Policies (tip sheet)
- Assigning Retention Labels in OneDrive (tip sheet)
- Assigning Retention Labels in OneDrive (video)
- Assigning Retention Labels in Teams and SharePoint (video)